Professor Sehamuddin Galadari is currently Research Professor of Biology at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD), Emeritus Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Cell Biology at College of Medicine and Health Sciences UAE University, Senior Lecturer at Harvard Medical School, Boston USA, and a Visiting Professor at Oxford University in the UK. He is also the Senior Advisor at the Harvard Medical School Centre for Global Health Delivery-Dubai. Prior to joining NYUAD, during a career spanning more than 26 years, Prof. Sehamuddin was the Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies at UAE University, and before that Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies at the College of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University. Prof. Sehamuddin obtained his PhD in Biochemistry in 1991 from Imperial College, London, UK and his BSc. with honours in 1987 from University of Southampton, UK. Prof. Sehamuddin is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology (FRSB) and the Royal Society of Public Health (FRSPH). He joined the College of Medicine and Health Sciences at the UAE University as a faculty member in 1991 and helped in building the Department of Biochemistry. He has contributed significantly to the development of the College of Medicine and Health Sciences in Research and Education, and established the Cell Signalling Laboratory.
Prof. Sehamuddin serves on many prominent committees and boards:
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research (Boston, USA);
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee, Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research (Boston, USA);
- Chairman, Medical Research Grant Committee, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences;
- Member of the Scientific Committee, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences;
- Member of the Board of Directors, Dubai Healthcare City Authority; and the Al Jalila Foundation for Medical Education and Research
- Chairman, Scientific Advisory Committee of the Al Jalila Foundation for Medical Education and Research
- Member of the Global Future Council on Biotechnologies, World Economic Forum.
Previously, Prof. Sehamuddin was Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Hamdan Bin Mohammed College of Dental Medicine, and served as the Science & Technology Advisor to the Emirates Foundation.
His research interest revolves around Apoptosis, Autophagy and Cancer Biology, and he has published over 60 manuscripts in international peer reviewed journals, and has supervised a number of PhD students and post-doctoral fellows. He has contributed significantly to biomedical research in the UAE.
Prof. Sehamuddin has been a Visiting Professor to many well-known institutions such as Imperial College (UK), University of Glasgow (UK), Duke University Medical Centre (USA), Medical University of South Carolina (USA) and POSTECH (South Korea). He is a reviewer and has served on the editorial board of a number of biomedical journals.
He was elected as an IAS Fellow in 2016.