Born in Bor, Turkey in 1928. He completed his first degree from the Medical Faculty of Istanbul University in 1952.
He went to the United States (1952) and studied Internal Medicine. Later he specialized in Cardiology. He then went on to do research in Cardiac Physiology for which he was appointed to the staff at Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia (1958).
He taught and conducted research there for three years and then he was invited to Philadelphia Presbyterian Hospital to initiate research in Fetal Physiology. He was simultaneously appointed as a member of the teaching staff at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr Bor returned to Turkey in 1963 to become the Founding Director of Physiology in a new Medical School in Ankara. In 1976 he took over the research facility and organized “The Medical and Surgical Research Center” in the same University. He has chaired this institute since then and conducted research actively. He simultaneously taught Physiology to medical students and conducted graduate courses in Physiology.
He has been a Member of the Science Council of TUBITAK (Turkish Scientific and Technical National Research Council) and has taken part in its administration.
He has established two Science Journals (Doga, and Turkish Journal for Medical Sciences) and has served as their editor. He has also been on the board of three other science journals.
Prof. Bor is a former Chairman of the Research Center at Hacettepe University, and is currently the Chairman of the Anadolu Health and Research Foundation.
Prof. Bor is a Founding Fellow of the Islamic World Academy of Sciences (1986), and the Founding Editor of its Journal (1988). He was elected to the Council of the IAS for the period 1994-1999, and re-elected for the same post in 1999 and 2003.