Dr Ozturk was born in Kashmir/India in 1943. He is a Turkish professor of ecology. He is a Vice-President of the IAS, 2017-2021.
He graduated form Kashmir University in India, specializing in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. He received his MSc from the same University in 1964. He obtained his PhD in 1971 and DSc in 1975 in Ecology and Environmental Sciences from Ege University, Izmir, Turkey.
Dr Ozturk was a member of the Turkish Biological Society (1973-1998); Mediterranean Society of Plant Physiologists (MPP) (1974-1981); OPTIMA (1976-1986); national delegate for the European Federation of Plant Physiologists (1986-1996); member, national committee on Biology (1991-1999); INTECOL (1993-2002); Bryologists Association (1993-2000). He is a member of the World Cultural Council, Albert Einstein Award of Science (1999).
He has published more than 450 papers on ecological studies as well as biomonitoring in different habitats and is a member to the editorial board of as well as a reviewer of many journals. Dr Öztürk has received fellowships from Alexander von Humboldt, and the Japanese Society for Promotion of Science. He has worked at the University of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, via a grant from National Science Foundation, USA. He also worked as a consultant fellow at the Faculty of Forestry, University Putra Malaysia and as a “Distinguished Visiting Scientist” at the ICCBS, Karachi University, Pakistan.
His fields of scientific interest are; Biomonitoring, Plant Eco-Physiology, Conservation of Plant Diversity, Biosaline Agriculture, Pollution and Medicinal/Aromatic Plants. His publications include over 50 books, nearly 70 book chapters, more than 200 papers in impact factor journals and more than 150 presentations in “national and international conferences, workshops, symposium”. He has acted as guest editor for several international journals like; The Malaysian Forester, Environmental Geology – Springer, Science and Business Media, Journal of Environmental Biology (4 volumes), Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, Elsevier (2 Volumes).
Prof. Ozturk has received over 50 certificates and Sheilds in Turkey and Abroad and has the following distinctions:
- Turkish Biological Society 30 years Services Award, Izmir; 1993.
- Certificates of Honor – Environmental Protection and Research Foundation, Izmir, Turkey; 1991, 1996 & 1997.
- Certificates of Honor – Pollution Control Studies and Biodiversity by the Municipalities of Kusadasi, Soke, Izmir; 1993,1995, 1996 & 1997.
- Turk Ocak Awards 1994, 1995.
- Member of Honour of the Russian Ecological Academy, Moscow, 1995 onwards.
- Izmir Club Award – environmental protection activity, 1996.
- TUBITAK Scientific Publications Awards, 1996.
- OLEYIS Labour Foundation for Social Security and Assistance Award – Tourism and Environment Competition, Ankara, Turkey; 1997.
- Izmir Governorate Awards for Assistance to Foreign Students; 1997, 2001.
Ozturk’s name has been given to a newly recorded plant species from Turkey by two researchers from Erciyes University, Kayseri, as Sideritis ozturkii and Verbascum ozturkii.
Prof. Ozturk was elected as a Fellow in 2002.