Professor of Physics Dhaka University was born in 1940, at Bheramara, Kushtia, Bangladesh. Dr Ali has a BSc in Physics from Dhaka University (1958). MSc (Physics), Dhaka University (1960), Diploma in Advanced Studies, (1962), Manchester University, UK. He earned his PhD in Nuclear Physics in 1965 from Manchester University, UK.
Research and Academic posts held: Scientific officer, Atomic Energy Commission, 1961-1965. Senior Scientific Officer, Atomic Energy Commission 1965-1969. Principal Scientific Officer, Atomic Energy Commission, 1975-1982. Professor of Physics, University of Dhaka (1982-2006). Dr Ali was Director, Atomic Energy Centre, Dhaka. 1970-1978. Member, Advisory Committee, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission, 1977-1987.
Dr Ali has published more than seventy papers in International Journals of repute. The fields of research include the following:
- Study of three Body Problems in Nuclear Physics;
- Resonating group studies of light nuclei;
- Phenomenological studies of the Alpha-Alpha interaction;
- Study of Lambda-Nucleon and Lambda-Lambda interactions from analysis of Lambda hypernuclear systems;
- Study of non-local interactions in the co-ordinate representation;
- Study of equivalent local interactions; and
- Studies of the local as well as non-local Folding Model for nuclear reactions.
Prof. Ali has been teaching at the graduate and post-graduate levels for more than 30 years, and has promoted ways and means of creating interest in physics education at all levels.
He was made life-long Honorary Professor of Physics in 1973 by the University of Dhaka.
Fellow of the Bangladesh Physical Society, Fellow of the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Member, New York Academy of Sciences, Prof. Ali is also an elected Fellow of the Islamic World Academy of Sciences (1988) and Council Member (2017-2021).
He was a Senior Associate of the International Center for Theoretical Physics at Trieste, Italy. General Secretary of BASSP (Bangladesh Association of Scientists and Scientific Professions) 1978-1981.