Dr Moneef Zou’bi, DG-IAS, visited on Thursday 8 May 2014 the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where he was received by H E Dr Mohammad Ibrahim Al-Suwwayyel, the President of KACST.
IAS DG was briefed on the activities of KACST in a number of areas within the Saudi STI system as well KACST pioneering work in STI policy developement, water desalination technology as well as satellite technologies.
KACST is an independent scientific organization administratively reporting to the Prime Minister. KACST is both the Saudi Arabian national science agency and its national laboratories. The science agency function involves science and technology policy making, data collection, funding of external research, and services such as the patent office. KACST has currently over 2500 employees.
It is woth noting that KACST lists among its activities the followng main thrsut areas:
• A sustained planning mechanism for all scientific disciplines.
• Scientifically knowledgeable and capable government agencies.
• A developed R&D infrastructure with fully functioning centers of excellence in all scientific disciplines.
• Strong interaction between the private sector and research centers.
• Regional leaders in patent ownership and issuance. Advanced incubator systems and output.
• World leaders in strategic technologies including water and oil and gas.
• Enhanced interaction networks between all scientific agencies.